Sunday, January 11, 2015

Harder to get a mortgage in 2015?

I wanted to wish everyone a happy 2015. I've been a bad boy as I need to get more consistent again with this blog. I must give credit to one client in particular that called me last week and mentioned that he reads my blog often. I was very touched by that comment. So this blog entry is dedicated to him. Thanks for the kick in the butt.

Okay now for the crux of this blog, is it harder to qualify for a mortgage in 2015? I am not trying to be evasive but I would say it depends:

1. If you are looking for a residential mortgage : it is not harder to qualify for a mortgage as the rules are generally the same. I would say that banks and virtual lenders are clamping down on poor credit and forcing self employed people to declare more money. The Federal Government is still closely monitoring the banks in this respect. We still have some wiggle room but this trend is forcing the  average consumer to "play more by the rules." I refer to this as common sense mortgage financing.

I find usually where the wheel fall off the wagon is due to personal issues such as divorce, illness, a death etc. I am optimistic for 2015. My two cents is stay proactive with your properties, credit, taxes, investments. Also, if a problem arises then deal with it immediately through a mortgage broker. Often times proper problem diagnosis, planning and execution is what is necessary. You need a power team consisting of the right: mortgage broker, financial planner, insurance broker, real estate broker, and accountant.

2. If you are looking for a commercial mortgage: I would say that commercial financing is more intricate. Each building is different and more and more banks are particular as to the type of properties they would like in their financing portfolio. Not everyone has a AAAA tenant from a large known franchise or brand. My two cents is just be sure you are approaching the right lender with your property or speak to a mortgage broker with commercial experience.

Also, often what slows financing or kills the deal with a lender is bad mortgage planning. Know your properties and know what your accountant enters into your T1 Generals. I worked on one commercial refinance where there were major dicrepencies on the rent roll and expenses. I try to pinpoint those issues before submitting to a lender but that is not always possible. For commercial mortgages, I am also very optimistic for 2015. I would say I have more commercial banks and lenders to work with than residential and these banks are hungry for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment