Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Making of a Member of Parliament

Today, I am going to focus some thoughts on Federal politics and the road towards becoming a Member of Parliament. Given our busy lives with our jobs, kids, and paying our mortgages; we don't have time to think about the electoral process and how much work it takes to get first nominated by a political party before you can run in an election. With all the recent corruption scandals and mediocre policy ideas, politicians sadly can get a lumped with the same level of trust as a sleazy used car salesman.

Believe me, working and studying politics I saw many politicians come and go. Very few politicians here in Canada and abroad have caught my attention. Once upon a time I worked for Irwin Cotler, Member of Parliament, for Mount Royal. Irwin, I can say is one of the few politicians that is truly issue-driven. Irwin is not your typical politician and human rights lawyer that I respect because he sees beyond party lines. He builds real coalitions of the willing and often defended less popular issues such as gay rights, poverty reduction, and rights for the elderly. Irwin's litmus test for a policy idea is, "ask yourself, is what is happening good for children?"

Irwin Cotler, MP Mount Royal, speaking out about social injustice and supporting Brigitte Garceau for the Liberal nomination in Pierrefonds-Dollard & event host Beryl Wajsman, President of the Institute for Public Affairs

When Irwin Cotler put his political support behind Brigitte Garceau I paid attention. Brigitte is a divorce attorney and is currently running for the Liberal Nomination for the Liberal party in Dollard-Pierrefonds. I live in Pierrefonds and interestingly a close to home political story. Who can resist! The timing is also very important given tomorrow's Quebec Provincial Election 2014. I am beyond furious with Pauline Marois, the PQ and the politics of division in this province. It's time to speak out and take action. We must denounce those trying to divide us and speak out against this injustice.

The Quebec economy has suffered for the past 25 years with the constant treat of sovereignty. Guess what PQ and Pauline, time to move on. Your sovereignty and charter song is old. I am all about protecting individual and French Quebec rights. However, not under a cloak of us versus them policies and not at the detriment to society. All too often I see my clients getting laid off, closing their businesses, going bankrupt, forcing both parents to work constantly rather than spend more time with their children. I am making a choice to be more vocal and politically active. We need better paying jobs, a better economy, and to close the door once and for all on the politics of division. We deserve this as Quebecers regardless of background. We all make a conscious choice to live and work here. Leaving the province is not the answer either. That's what the PQ desires most.

Last week, I attended a nomination event for Brigitte Garceau. The event was hosted by Beryl Wajsman, President of the Institute for Public Affairs. We listened to supporters like Irwin Cotler (MP Mount Royal) , Gemma Raeburn-Baynes (community and cultural organizer), and Caroline Tison (West Island Community Shares) who all spoke about their excellent community work but also their support for Brigitte.

Brigitte Garceau, running for the Liberal Nomination in Pierrefonds-Dollard, addressing the audience and thanking her community leader supporters to her left. 
I agree with Beryl Wajsman, in that "being a small 'L' liberal is forgotten in creating a just society." It's time for a new generation of politicians and policy makers that create change and cross political lines to create consensus. Both Beryl and Irwin emphasized that as a politician you can do want with process but don't compromise on principle. I am hoping as I participate and help Brigitte Garceau, that she continues to gain supporters and momentum. When asked why run now, Brigitte, responded, "I am a woman, and a mother. I have raised my children here, in the West Island. And I'm angry that they may not want to make Quebec their home because of our politics."

No comments:

Post a Comment