Monday, March 17, 2014

Priory School Heritage Fair

Today, I am going to focus my blog on a local community matter. Yes debt and mortgages are all important but sometimes it good to shift attention to things that build a sense of community and belonging. Often times building a sense of community is lost in today's hustle and bustle.

I can say with great pride that I am a Priory School Alum. Yes it was my primary and I attended there many many years ago but I have such vivid memories from the Priory. I remember the sense of belonging including attention and care given by faculty and staff.

Last week, for the second year in a row I was asked to be a judge in the Annual Heritage Fair. The Heritage Fair is the equivalent of a science fair. Every year Grades 4, 5 and 6 create individual or group projects. The children research their topics, type up a report and bibliography, and create a visual presentation to show off to the judges. The projects go up on display in the new Priory gym. Each judge is given 5-6 students to evaluate. Why I love the Heritage Fair is the amount of effort that the children give in creating their projects. Mom and Dad seem to stay away as much as possible from helping, haha. I am always shocked at the level of comprehension and depth shown by the students.

After all the projects are evaluated the excited kids quietly and anxiously await the results as they sit in front of the podium and panel of judges. Tim Peters, school Principal, announces one by one the names of the winners. What's great is that there are no first, second or third awards rather the children get a medal of recognition. I think in an age of competition this is a great approach.

The Priory students sitting patiently for the recognition awards ceremony
(picture posted on The Priory School website)
I am glad to see that the Priory School still shares and promotes a sense of  community and enrichment. I am so impressed by the teachers and staff. That is why I continue to give back to my primary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment