Sunday, December 22, 2013

Montreal real estate values and personal debt

Hey everyone. So I've disappeared from the mortgage blogging world the past few months but now I'm back. I enjoy blogging way too much and there's so much new mortgage info ideas that I've wanted to share with everyone.

I've noticed a couple things in the Montreal real estate and mortgage industry lately which is personal debt and market values. I don't have any concrete statistics yet but what I can say is that I'm seeing clients lately that bought the past few years are realizing they cannot afford both their homes and a growing debt load. For many it's becoming harder and harder to refinance one's home and pull some equity to pay off debt.

From time to time I read Garth Turner's blog. Garth spends a lot of time speaking out about Canadian real estate, the economy and debt. On 16 December 2013, Garth wrote in a recent blog entry entitled, "The Blame," where he states,

"Ultimately there’s nobody to blame but those who create the demand for over-valued assets. People keep buying houses regardless of the process, since they have an endless appetite for debt....Since we’ve achieved another all-time debt record, with $1.2 trillion in outstanding homeowner mortgages (doubled within the last decade) and unprecedented line of credit and credit card balances, the central bank is handcuffed. If rates rise to chill house horniness and temper our piggish appetite for even more debt, it’ll push the economy into true deflation and ugly employment numbers."

Market values, cheap debt and the economic growth are all tied together. The dilemma is cooling the market and trying to manage debt. On my end I'm seeing market values cooling in the greater Montreal area however because cheap debt is still available many are still taking advantage.

Municipal values of homes in the greater Montreal area have increased as much as 25% in some areas but property values have not followed suit. So what does all this mean for the average person? Good question. First, if you're feeling the debt pinch and don't see yourself paying off that debt quickly (i.e. work bonus, extra commission, extra over-time, an inheritance or willing the lotto) then perhaps it might be a good time to down size or refinance. Yes this can play with emotions and ego but could save you a lot of stress and frustration by simply maintaining the debt load.

I've recommended to some of my clients lately to sell their homes, pay off debt (including close certain trade lines or lower limits) and still put a good amount down towards a new home. What's important to keep in mind, is don't wait too long before you start becoming late or default on you debt obligations. I have many clients and individuals that I've met with that have waited too long and are now stuck with expensive short to medium term 2nd mortgages.


No comments:

Post a Comment