Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tips on how to improve your credit score



Managing your personal debts is often on our minds but have you thoughtabout your credit report? I met with a client over the weekend who told me he’snever seen his credit report. So we pulled it together and had a look. To hissurprise his score was in the 640s which is decent but clearly he could havebeen over 750. The credit system in Canada is an algorithm that tracks ourconsumption of credit. This “points system” ranges from 300 to 900 points. Ideally,to get mortgage with a top bank, meaning best rate but also favourable conditionsshould be generally above 650.

Tip #1: Watch your credit limits. In this gentleman’s particularcase he had maxed out all his lines of credit personal and secured. I am not afan of lines of credit as it’s very easy to spend the money and once you exceed50% of your limit then your score begins to drop over time.

Tip #2: Watch out for those pesky credit checks. Every time you applyfor a cell phone, satellite TV, a retail card, and even your contractor maypull a credit check on you. They need your permission but they don’t alwaysask! Too many checks in a concentrated period of time can drop your scoresignificantly.

Tip #3: Pay on time and pay at least your minimum. Sounds simplebut pay all your credit cards, car lease, lines of credit and even that cellphone bill on time. Remember even a wire transfer of funds can take 3-5business days to clear. The credit report tracks payment history for 6-9 years. If you have any collections take care ofthem ASAP.

If you keep all three factors in check then your score will increase butkeep in mind positive results are not real time rather can take 2-4 months adjuston your report. If you have a mortgage, debt-related questions or would like toshare an experience feel free to contact me. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark!
    You have inspired me to get a new Equifax report. My score has gone down from 796 (2010-10) to 763 today. Listed in order of impact to my score was: #1) Number of open card trades (9 credit cards) #2)Total number of other inquiries (33 credit inquiries) #3) Percentage trades opened within the last 2 years to total trades (opened 5 credit accounts, now have 9 in total). I won't be opening any new credit accounts till my next mortgage renewal in 2013, so I will check then how my score will be affected once 22 credit inquiries will be purged from my account. I don't intend to close any credit cards before my mortgage renewal because I know it will cost me points just for closing them. But eventually, I will lower my credit cards to only 5 instead of 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the post and sounds like you have a good plan. Inquiries are killers. It's one of those things that happens way too easily. Most of the time we don't know it happens and our permission is never asked to view it. Thanks for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete